Our appellate lawyers are skilled problem solvers, superb writers, and accomplished oral advocates who have successfully handled complex appeals in federal and state appellate courts across the country.
Several of our appellate attorneys have served as judicial clerks on the federal courts of appeal, including the Ninth Circuit, as well as state appellate courts, including the Oregon and Washington Supreme Courts. Our appellate lawyers have experience handling a broad array of appeals, including constitutional claims, antitrust, bankruptcy, securities, ERISA, insurance coverage, and administrative appeals. Our attorneys have extensive knowledge of the intricate appellate court rules and procedures and are adept at using various forms of appellate proceedings and motions to achieve results for our clients.
We have argued high-stakes appeals in courts across the country and have extensive experience representing clients before the following courts:
- The U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S Courts of Appeals
- Oregon Supreme Court
- Oregon Court of Appeals
- Washington appellate courts
- California appellate courts
- Idaho appellate courts
Our appellate lawyers work closely with clients—and trial counsel—to demystify the appellate process. We strive to position their cases in a manner that optimizes the probability of success on appeal and we formulate the strongest argument for those cases that proceed to appeal.
We are skilled strategists who have experience handling the following:
- Evaluating the strength of claims and issues on appeal.
- Advising clients on the risks and appealing and assessing the likelihood of success.
- Developing strategies for pursuing and defending issues on appeal.
- Using appellate motions to resolve or streamline issues on appeal.
- Drafting persuasive merits briefs.
- Preparing amicus curiae (friend of the court) briefs.
- Delivering successful oral arguments.
- Drafting and responding to petitions for certiorari and petitions for review.
Our appellate lawyers have won a number of groundbreaking decisions in Oregon and Washington, and we have compiled a long and distinguished track record of providing tough, effective appellate advocacy in a manner that has garnered the respect of judges, opponents, and our clients.