Julie L. Reed
Julie Reed is a patent attorney focusing on acquiring, managing, and enforcing patents and trademarks in support of clients’ business strategies. She has extensive experience in licensing, and also acts as IP counsel for companies without in-house IP attorneys.
With an electrical engineering degree and a chemistry background, Julie has acquired patents for clients in computer and other electrical hardware, software, consumer products, additive manufacturing and 3D printing, materials, and alternative energy technologies. Julie understands the demands between business objectives, IP strategies, and IP law. She has successfully supported clients in various situations to achieve their overall goal, including acquiring and managing a complete IP portfolio through to product launch, and guiding another client with IP strategy during its acquisition.
Julie is the chair of the firm’s technology and emerging business department. With attorneys licensed from California to Washington, she leads a multidisciplinary industry team with passion and insight. Julie has presented and written on various IP topics including patents, trademarks, and copyrights. She is recognized as an IAM Top 1000 patent professional.
Julie began her career as a patent agent at Texas Instruments where she learned patent prosecution by working with attorneys at the leading edges of licensing and litigation, including how to write effective patents for both. After becoming a patent attorney and spending several years protecting TI’s DLP® technology as the intellectual property strategy manager, she moved on to serve as the first in-house patent counsel at Sharp Labs of America. Prior to joining Miller Nash, Julie worked at Marger Johnson for over fifteen years and served two separate terms as president of the firm.
2D-3D Printing/Additive Manufacturing Plus
Building and managing a portfolio on additive deposition systems using robotic deposition heads to build parts for larger systems.
- Building and managing a portfolio of additive manufacturing using filament extension atomizers.
Contributing to a large existing portfolio on inkjet controllers and waveforms.
Machine Learning Plus
Patent application on ML system for detecting hardware types (pending).
Patent application on ML System for quality control of printing systems (pending).
Patent application on using ML to monitor and control issues in user responses.
Multiple patent applications on using ML to test and validate hardware components.
Alternative Energy/Environmental Plus
Building a portfolio for printed/extruded battery technologies.
Building a portfolio on direct air capture and other carbon dioxide reduction systems.
- Acting as patent and trademark counsel for small company in solar-powered electronics and systems, acquired several patents and trademarks related to portable solar.
Acting as patent and trademark counsel for company that provides various coir-based products, acquired several patents and trademarks related to coir-based products.
Maneuvered the current regulatory environment to successfully acquire trademarks for hemp seed producer.
Filed several patent applications for hemp seed producer on breeding using DNA of hemp strains.
Consumer Products Plus
Acting as patent and trademark counsel for a company selling consumer health care products, acquired patents and trademarks for their products.
- Acting as patent and trademark counsel for a company selling products in comfort care.
Filed, prosecuted, and acquired many patents on electrical circuitry in the video processing, printing, lighting, memory, and test equipment areas, among many others.
Represented company having a motherboard architecture that expands and increases the speed of memory access, supporting the client from initial patent filings through the company’s acquisition.
Building and coordinating a portfolio of adhesives.
Building and coordinating a portfolio of particle material formulations.
Managing strategy and building portfolio for polymer based materials.
Acquiring patents for IoT company.
Managed and prosecuted portfolio of virus and malicious communications monitoring system software for overseas company.
Acquire patents for enterprise-tier database software for large company.
- Oregon Entrepreneurs Network
- Sponsorship Committee, Member
- Technology Association of Oregon, Member
- Licensing Executives Society, Member
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Patent Law Committee, Member
- Women in IP Law Committee, Member
- Association of University Technology Managers
- Western Region Meeting Planning Committee, Member
- Washington Women Lawyers, Member
- Washington State Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Texas State Bar Association, Member
- Selected for inclusion in IAM Patent 1000—The World’s Leading Patent Professionals, 2017-current
- Recognized as a “Patent star” by Managing Intellectual Property IP STARS, 2021-present
- Recognized as a “Notable Practitioner” by Chambers USA in Intellectual Property, 2021
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® (Vancouver, WA)
- Technology Law, 2024-present
- Trademark Law, 2024-present
Outside the Office
Julie and her partner enjoy exploring small towns around the Pacific Northwest, including around the base of Mount Rainier, along the Columbia River and the Oregon and Washington coasts.