James M. Walker
James Walker is a transactional attorney who advises the firm’s public and private clients on real estate, construction, public contracting, and governance and procurement matters. His representative experience includes work and services for school districts, municipalities, drainage districts, affordable housing developers, community colleges, and tribal governments.
James regularly advises public bodies on a variety of issues, including compliance with Oregon’s public contracting code; conducting public meetings; responding to public records requests in accordance with Oregon’s public meetings and records law; drafting local ordinances; and developing rules of order and conduct for use at public meetings.
James advises clients on matters related to financing, building, and completing construction projects. He drafts and reviews construction loan documents for financial institutions, and regularly negotiates design, construction, and construction management contracts for general contractors, design professionals, and project owners. He also assists clients on various matters that arise after a construction project commences, including preparing change orders and filing lien claims.
James has assisted many clients with navigating complexities related to the financing, design, construction, and completion of affordable housing projects. He has extensive experience drafting, reviewing, and negotiating construction loan documents, and regularly negotiates design, construction, and construction management contracts for project owners in the affordable housing industry. James also assists clients with development of the physical property and drafting other applicable documents.
James assists clients with drafting and negotiating documentation related to real estate transactions. He has advised nonprofit organizations, small businesses, and financial institutions on matters related to acquiring and disposing of real estate.
- Multnomah Bar Association
- Young Lawyers Section Pro Bono Committee, past chair of the Nonprofit Project Subcommittee
- Oregon State Bar, member
- National Association of Minority Contractors—Oregon Chapter, board of directors
- Albertina Kerr Centers, past governing board member
- Race for the Roses, past planning committee member
- Community Learning Post, tutor
- Mt. Olivet Baptist Church, sound technician volunteer
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch
- Construction Law, 2022
- Selected for inclusion as an Oregon Super Lawyer—Rising Stars, 2020-present
- Recognized as a 2018 Phenom by Daily Journal of Commerce Oregon
Outside the Office
In his free time, James enjoys bike riding, softball, reading, and Michigan football.