Skip to main content

Oregon Paid Family Leave Is Fast Approaching: Model Notice/Poster Now Available!



As most Oregon employers are aware by now, Oregon’s paid family and medical leave program, referred to as Paid Leave Oregon, is set to go into effect next year. While the start date for leave benefits to begin was pushed back to September 1, 2023, employers still need to be ready to provide the necessary notice and begin making the required premiums withholdings as of January 1, 2023.

These paid leave benefits will provide virtually all employees in Oregon now with paid leave benefits for up to 12 weeks in the event of the birth/adoption/foster placement of a child, when the employee is seriously ill or needed to care for an ill family member, or when leave is needed due to domestic violence, sexual assault, harassment or stalking (this latter category is known as “safe leave”). In some pregnancy-related situations, up to 14 weeks may be available.

While many details are still being finalized, there are a number of tools and information already available to help employers understand how the premiums will work, what is required, and how to get a voluntary plan approved if an employer wants to opt out. Recently, the model poster was published: This poster must be posted in a conspicuous place at the worksite, at each employer location, and made available electronically (or emailed) to any remote Oregon workers no later than January 1, 2023.

Next up: The Oregon Employment Department is set to publish the contribution rate by November 2022, which may be up to 1% of the employee’s total wages. All Oregon employees will be required to contribute 60% of the total premium amount through withholdings. Employers with 25 or more employees are obligated to contribute the other 40%. Smaller employers are not required to contribute.

Our team will be providing insights and best practices on Paid Leave Oregon at our virtual Employment Law Seminar on October 26. To learn more about the complimentary seminar and register to attend, visit the event page on our website.

The legal issues impacting workplaces are ever changing (Employment Law in Motion!) and since publication, new or additional information not referenced in this blog post may be available.

This article is provided for informational purposes only—it does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship between the firm and the reader. Readers should consult legal counsel before taking action relating to the subject matter of this article.

  Edit this post