Zachary A. Cooper
Zach Cooper is an associate in the financial services department, where he represents clients in a broad range of disputes involving bankruptcy, receivership, foreclosure, and other related litigation.
Before joining Miller Nash, Zach served as the law clerk for the Honorable Marc Barreca, Chief Judge of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Washington. He is regularly invited to speak and write on topics related to current case law and how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted specific industries.
Zach served in the United States Army as a non-commissioned officer in the 75th
Ranger Regiment, a selective special operations unit. This experience gave Zach unique perspective and helps him guide clients with his clear communication, attention to detail, and ability to effectively collaborate to resolve complex disputes.
Prior to Joining Miller Nash LLP Plus
Represented employer in a nondischargeability lawsuit against a former employee who fraudulently obtained workers’ compensation benefits. The court granted a motion for summary judgment and declared the debt nondischargeable.
Obtained an order of dismissal in a chapter 11 case based on the debtor’s lack of corporate authority to file a bankruptcy petition.
Represented landlord in chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding. Obtained an order granting relief from the automatic stay to allow client to exercise state law remedies. Assisted client in negotiations with debtor and related interested parties.
Represented creditor in the investigation of undisclosed assets of individual chapter 11 debtor. Conducted a Bankruptcy Rule 2004 examination leading to the discovery of potential estate assets and later moved to convert the case to chapter 7. After conversion of the case to chapter 7, the United States Trustee brought an adversary proceeding leading to the denial of the debtor’s discharge.
- King County Bar Association
- Bankruptcy Law Section, Member
- Washington State Bar Association
- Creditor-Debtor Rights Section, Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Member
- Turnaround Management Association, Member
- American Jewish Committee, Board Member - Seattle, 2018-present
Insights from Zachary
- “Case Law Update and Discussion,” Bench Bar for the United States Bankruptcy Court: Western District of Washington, (2021)
- “’Where’s my Rent?’ Commercial Leasing and Insolvency During the Pandemic,” King County Bar Association: Bankruptcy Section, (2020)
- “Small Business Reorganization Act of 2019,” Bench Bar for the United States Bankruptcy Court: Western District of Washington, (2020)
Outside the Office
Zach enjoys traveling, playing tennis, and as a native New Yorker, cheering on the New York Islanders hockey team.