Paul Havel, a partner, joined Miller Nash in 2000. He is a member of the firm’s Intellectual Property team and leads the firm’s alcoholic beverage team. Paul has developed particular acumen in representing the business interests of craft breweries, cideries, and distilleries. He assists alcoholic beverage companies in a variety of areas including trademark protection and branding, intellectual property enforcement and dispute resolution, general business transactions, distribution agreements, business formation, raising funds, strategic planning, and risk management.
Paul practices in the areas of domestic and international intellectual property counseling, licensing, dispute resolution, and prosecution. He manages domestic and international trademark portfolios, including trademark clearance, filing and prosecution of federal and state trademark applications, maintenance of registrations, and coordination with and supervision of international counsel for application filings, maintenance of registrations, and dispute resolution. Paul represents clients before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB), as well as in administrative proceedings involving internet domain names. He also provides a full range of services for intellectual property acquisition, sale, and licensing transactions, including negotiation and drafting of agreements, and managing due diligence.
In the technology area, Paul negotiates, drafts, and provides advice concerning software licensing, software and website development, and other technology and internet-based agreements.
Paul holds a courtesy appointment to the faculty of the University of Oregon School of Law, where he co-teaches a course on transactional business practice.
- Multnomah Bar Association, member
- King County Bar Association, member
- Oregon State Bar
- Intellectual Property Section, past Executive Committee member
- Washington State Bar Association, member
- International Trademark Association (INTA), member
- INTA Leadership Development Committee, 2014-present
- Oregon Brewers Guild, member
- Washington Brewers Guild, member
- Brewers Association, member
- Northwest Cider Association, member
- Beverage Industry Networking Group (B.I.N.G.), member
- Multilaw, Intellectual Property and Information Technology practice group, co-chair, 2016-present
- University of Oregon Law School Transactions Lab, courtesy professor
- Portland State Business of Craft Brewing, guest lecturer
- University of Washington—Tacoma Craft Beer Certification Programs, guest lecturer
- Camp Fire USA Portland Metro Council
- Board of directors
- Past president
- Selected for inclusion as an Oregon Super Lawyer, 2021-present
- Recognized as a “Notable Practitioner” by Chambers USA in Intellectual Property, 2020
- Selected for inclusion in the WTR 1000 by the World Trademark Review, 2020-present
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in Trademark Law, 2018-present
Outside the Office
Paul enjoys many outdoor activities, including photography, golf, skiing, and hiking.