Ben Pirie counsels business clients on mergers and acquisitions, fundraising, drafting and negotiating complex contracts, corporate governance, and regulatory compliance. He regularly advises start-up and established businesses on transactions that include affiliate considerations, licensing agreements, and cross-border issues. Ben often acts as outside general counsel, providing strategic advice and acting as a liaison between clients and the broad range of legal services offered by Miller Nash.
Since the passage of Oregon’s Measure 91, Ben has worked closely with clients in the emerging cannabis and hemp industries. He has a deep understanding of this complex and dynamic regulatory environment, and is experienced in structuring complex transactions by which cannabis brands are able to access interstate markets without violating state laws or federal enforcement priorities. Ben is active in engaging with federal, state, and local regulators in order to ensure common sense, business-friendly regulation of the cannabis industry.
Ben has been recognized nationally for his work in the cannabis industry by Chambers USA, with clients stating he’s “a well-organized, levelheaded attorney with great follow-up manners.” As a general business attorney, Ben is able to leverage his experience in the cannabis space to provide specialized advice to clients across many highly-regulated industries, and crafting custom solutions to meet unique needs.
- Multnomah Bar Association, Member
- Oregon State Bar, Member
- Business Law Section, Executive Committee
- Cannabis Law Section, Executive Committee
- Treasurer, 2023
- Coos Bay Oregon Law Center/Central Oregon Legal Aid Services of Oregon (LASO), Miller Nash Expungement Clinic Pro Bono Attorney, 2022-present
- Recognized as a “Leader in Their Field” by Chambers USA for Cannabis Law—Nationwide: Western U.S., 2019-present
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® (Portland, OR)
- Corporate Law, 2024-present
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® (Portland, OR)
- Corporate Law, 2021-2023