Jeffrey P. Chicoine
Jeff Chicoine is a partner who has long-represented public and private employers in labor relations and employment matters. Jeff’s labor relations practice includes substantial experience with at-the-table labor negotiations. He bargains for private employers and on behalf of public agencies for both their strike-permitted and strike-prohibited units. He also represents employers in grievance arbitrations, interest arbitrations, union-organizing drives, representation petitions, unfair labor practice complaints, and civil service cases.
Jeff has handled more than 100 arbitrations or administrative hearings as an advocate or administrative judge. He served as an administrative judge for three years with the Oregon Employment Relations Board and then under contract for other public agencies, providing him with invaluable insight when preparing and presenting cases.
More recently, Jeff has represented single and multi-employer benefit plans in large scale litigation in various forums. Clients continue to depend on Jeff's extensive experience on a broad range of employment law matters, including discrimination, harassment, wrongful discharge, trade secret, noncompetition agreements, wage and hour, severance, and other employment issues.
He has successfully defended employers in matters including wage-and-hour class actions, wrongful discharge, discrimination, and harassment claims. Jeff also pursues and defends against injunction actions. With his expertise in administrative law, he additionally assists clients in dealing with state and federal government agencies in non-employment matters.
Collective Bargaining Plus
Served as chief spokesperson in the public and private sectors. In the private sector, handled negotiations for employers in wood products, paper products, rubber, transportation and delivery, and construction. Represented cities, counties, and special districts, in bargaining agreements for general wall-to-wall units and fire, police, parole and probation officers, 9-1-1 operators, and juvenile detention workers.
Arbitrations & Administrative Hearings Plus
For public and private employers, arbitrated grievance disputes involving discharges, lesser forms of discipline, unsatisfactory work performance, contract violations, duties and assignments, and wages and benefits. Public sector work includes interest arbitrations. Handled numerous unfair labor practice proceeding for public and private employers, involving issues such as arbitrability, deferral, blocking charges, interference, discrimination, bad faith bargaining, unilateral changes, and contract violations.
Union Organizing & Strikes Plus
Believing that prevention is best, counseled employers and prepared and presented numerous workshops on remaining union-free even before the union starts organizing. Counseled and represented employers in union organizing efforts in the public and private sectors.
Assisted employers, public and private, in preparing for strikes, which is frequently the best strike prevention measure. During strikes or picketing, handled in-court injunction proceedings and pursued administrative remedies for both private and public sector employers.
Employee Benefit & ERISA Litigation Plus
Represented parties in disputes over employee benefits, including ERISA cases. Recently handled several cases representing single and multi-employer pension plans in federal court and administrative proceedings.
Wage & Hour Plus
In recent years, work on wage and hour matters has expanded and included defending employers in multiple class actions, individual claims and compliance advice on issues such as minimum wage, prevailing wage, meals and rest break as well as classification issues involving exemptions under state and federal law and independent contractor status. Served on the Governor’s Task Force on Independent Contractors, which resulted in legislative amendments revising Oregon’s independent contractor statute.
Other Employment Litigation & Advice Plus
On behalf of executives and employers, advised parties about restrictive covenants in business transactions, employment contracts and severance arrangements, and litigated injunction and damage actions resulting from alleged violations.
Defended employers in state and federal court in wrongful discharge, discrimination, and harassment claims. Routinely counsels employers about such matters both in routine personnel decisions and in the development of handbooks and policies.
- Oregon Public Employer Labor Relations Association (Oregon PELRA), Board of Directors, Advocacy Counsel, 2018-present
- Oregon State Bar
- Labor and Employment Law Section
- Past Chair, 2004
- Past Executive Committee Member
- Past Secretary
- Past Treasurer
- Appointed by Oregon State Bar’s Board of Governors to cochair the Bar/CPA Joint Committee, 2001
- Client Security Fund Committee, Member, 2007-2008
- Local Professional Committee, Member, 2007-2010
- Labor and Employment Law Section
- Governor’s Task Force on Independent Contractors, Member, 2005
- Actively volunteered locally and statewide, promoting community and children’s issues
- Bicycle Transportation Alliance, Legislative Committee, Member, 2007-2012
- West Linn-Wilsonville School Board, Member, 1995-2001
- Helped to organize a statewide citizens network advocating adequate school funding and served as its first president, 1993
- Organized a neighborhood association in West Linn, leading a successful effort to persuade the city to purchase land and develop a park for his fast-growing neighborhood, 1990
- Elected as a Fellow of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers
- Award of Excellence, Oregon Public Employer Labor Relations Association, 2017
- Rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Recognized as a “Leader in Their Field” by Chambers USA for Labor & Employment—Oregon, 2023–present
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® (Portland, OR)
- Labor Law—Management, 2024-present
Outside the Office
Jeff enjoys the outdoors. He is an avid bicyclist and likes to snowboard and cross-country-ski in the winter. When time allows, Jeff also likes to backpack and climb the ice-covered volcanoes of the Pacific Northwest.