Shanelle A. Honda
Shanelle Honda is a commercial litigator whose practice focuses on business litigation, including insurance coverage, contract disputes, and fiduciary liability, trade secret, and employment disputes. She also has experience in bid protests and public contracting disputes. Shanelle provides counsel at every stage of litigation and has successfully represented clients in state and federal courts.
Shanelle has significant experience with insurance coverage disputes and focuses exclusively on representing policyholders. She helps businesses resolve a variety of complex insurance coverage matters, including claims concerning errors and omissions, employment practices, general liability, and environmental contamination.
Prior to entering private practice, Shanelle served as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable Jerome E. LaBarre of the Multnomah County Circuit Court, where she clerked in more than 20 trials and numerous hearings. She also externed for the Honorable Michael W. Mosman of the U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon while in law school. Before pursuing a legal career, Shanelle worked in the banking industry for nearly seven years, helping clients reach their financial goals.
Represent development and construction companies in lawsuit brought by interior design firm alleging breach of contract and related claims stemming from Oregon Convention Center hotel project (ongoing).
Represent individual in lawsuit brought by former employer alleging breach of contract, misappropriation of trade secrets, and related claims (ongoing).
Represented telecommunications provider in pursuing bid protest arising out of public contracting project and seeking judicial review in Oregon state court.
Insurance Coverage Plus
Represented agricultural exporter in lawsuit to recover insurance benefits relating to property damage, resulting in a negotiated settlement without protracted litigation.
Counseled business in claim with property insurer for coverage related to wildfire damage, resulting in payment of full policy limits without ever commencing litigation.
Assisted in pursuit of environmental insurance coverage to pay for clients’ cleanup costs incurred in complying with federal Superfund and state enforcement actions.
- Multnomah Bar Association
- Young Lawyer Section, Continuing Legal Education Committee, 2014-2016
- Oregon State Bar Association
- Diversity Section, Executive Committee, 2017-2018
- CLE Committee, 2016-2018
- Oregon Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Oregon Women Lawyers
- Oregon Minority Lawyers Association
- Secretary, 2021-present
- Board member, 2021-present
- Owen M. Panner American Inn of Court, member, 2012-present
- Treasurer, 2020-present
- Executive Committee, 2018-present
- SMART (Start Making A Reader Today), Lawyers for Literacy Steering Committee, member, 2021-present
- Center for Women’s Leadership, Board Alumnae Committee, 2014-2016
- Lewis & Clark Law School, mentor, 2015-2016
- Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in Commercial Litigation and Insurance Law, 2021
Outside the Office
When not practicing law, Shanelle enjoys trying new restaurants, hiking, and otherwise spending time with her husband and their dog. Although raised in Oregon, Shanelle was born in Hawaii and returns as often as possible for the cuisine, local music, and beaches. She enjoys painting, ceramics, and trying to grow plants in her garden.