Seth Row leads the firm’s Insurance Recovery practice team and focuses his litigation practice primarily on insurance coverage disputes—exclusively on the policyholder side. In his more than 20 years of practice, he has assisted clients in recovering millions of dollars under nearly every kind of insurance policy, including property, business income, Directors & Officers, representations & warranties, marine, and cyber-risk policies. Seth has litigated several issues of first impression in Oregon, including the duty to defend EPA enforcement actions under long-tail liability policies, coverage for intellectual property and timber trespass disputes, and recovery of attorney fees.
Seth also has considerable experience in a broad range of business litigation, including transaction-related breach of contract claims and commercial torts. His clients range from banks, manufacturers, publicly traded entities, and technology startups to agriculturalists, non-profits, colleges, and universities.
Seth is a Fellow in the American College of Coverage Counsel, the premier association of lawyers who focus their practice on the representation of insurers and policyholders. One of only 350 Fellows, Seth is the first policyholder-side attorney from Oregon to be elected. Seth is also a frequent speaker, advisor, and author on insurance law, currently serving as the editor of Miller Nash’s insurance-coverage blog, The Northwest Policyholder.
Insurance Recovery Litigation Plus
Represented manufacturer in obtaining coverage for advertising injury claims, resulting in advantageous settlement after successful appeal to the Ninth Circuit.
Achieved positive outcome for our client with a successful suit against property insurer over coverage for damage to safety equipment caused by fire at agricultural products warehouse.
Represented family-owned machinery company, at trial and on appeal, over long-tail coverage for environmental claims at Portland Harbor Superfund site. This resulted in pro-policyholder decision on multiple issues of first impression regarding duty to defend EPA information requests and “PRP” letters, and constitutionality of Oregon statutes.
Successfully appealed trial court rulings on issues of first impression in Oregon involving coverage for timber trespass claims asserted against logging company, resulting in complete victory for client, including award of attorney fees.
Business Disputes Plus
Represented buyer of hospitality businesses over breaches of representations and warranties in sales agreement.
Following dispositive motions practice in Washington state court, achieved a favorable settlement in a negligence suit against an accounting firm over failure to maintain an insurance policy.
Represented a technology start-up at trial in dispute with government contractor, resulting in complete jury verdict and award of fees.
Achieved dismissal from protracted personal injury litigation for subcontractor, based on indemnity clauses in marine contract.
- American College of Coverage Counsel
- Co-Chair of the Communications Committee
- Multnomah Bar Association
- Board of Directors, Member, 2018-2021
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Committee, Member, 2016-2018
- CLE Committee, Member; Past Chair, 2012-2016
- American Bar Association
- Litigation Section, Council Member, 2023-2024
- Litigation Section, Virtual Programming Board Co-Chair, 2021-present
- Litigation Section, Division II Co-Director, 2018-2021
- Litigation Section, Content Management, Committee Member, 2012-2015; Co-Chair, 2015-2018
- Litigation Section, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, Social Media Co-Chair, 2016-2018
- Litigation Section, Pretrial Practice & Discovery Committee, Editor, 2009-2012
- Oregon State Bar
- Washington State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, Board of Directors, 2004–2009
- Fellow, American College of Coverage Counsel
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® (Portland, OR)
- Litigation—Insurance, 2021-present
- Insurance Law, 2020-present
- Selected for inclusion as an Oregon Super Lawyer, 2015-present
- Selected to Rising Stars, 2009-2013
- Recognized as a “Leader in Their Field” by Chambers USA for Litigation: General Commercial—Oregon, 2022-present