David M. Thompson
David Thompson advises start-up and established cannabis companies operating in a highly regulated industry. With exceptional client service, candor, and integrity, David provides a full range of business, employment, and regulatory support for these clients. In his previous experience as general counsel for two large cannabis and CBD companies, David handled a variety of complex issues, including regulatory compliance, government affairs, licensing, endorsement contracts, investor relations, supply chain, real estate, and construction. Additionally, he understands how to manage rapidly growing human resource teams while maintaining a positive company culture.
Prior to his experience as general counsel in the cannabis industry, David, as general counsel and chief operating officer, oversaw Oregon’s largest business association, negotiating and managing the association’s contracts, corporate compliance, risk management, revenue, and litigation management, as well as directing business advocacy programs and political action committees. Furthermore, David spent seven years in private practice as an employment law attorney in Portland.
Throughout the years, David has demonstrated his commitment to community by serving on numerous boards including the Portland Business Alliance, City Club of Portland, Morrison Child and Family Services, Jesuit Volunteer Corps Northwest, and the Portland Parks Foundation. Currently, he serves as chair and a founding member of the Morrison Child and Family Services Foundation.
- Oregon State Bar, member
- Washington State Bar Association, member
- Morrison Child and Family Services
- Foundation Board, chair, 2016-present
- board member, 2013-2016
- Portland Business Alliance, board member, 2018-2020
- City Club of Portland, Board of Governors, 2014-2017
- Portland Parks Foundation, past board member, 2012-2018
- Santa Clara University, Board of Regents, 2010-2016
- Jesuit Volunteer Corps Northwest, past board member, 2010-2016
- Named to Portland Business Journal’s Forty Under 40 list, 2017